I promised you some more pictures on the wonderful and varied uses of PhlexGlu today.
As I say, the great thing about it was its versatility. You could use it as a scenic material, or to make props, detail costumes, almost anything. If I can find some pictures later, I’ll share. Most of the theatrical uses we put it to I can’t at the moment find photos of. But I do have a few shots of some of the things I personally used it for, and I think you will get the gist. 🙂
When Newell and I got married, we celebrated by going to the now defunct Excalibur Faire. I made us costumes as a Wicked Sorceress and her Demon. Here is a shot of the back of Newell’s vest:
It was intended to look like a flayed face. It didn’t have as much detail as I would have liked, but I thought it came out fairly well.
Some years before that, after going down to the Texas Renaissance Festival and seeing the lovely fairies, I came home and decided to make some wings. So I could go back to the faire two weekends later. This was the result. I worked day and night on these things to get them done in time:
Here are the full wings…they are at least 15 years old now. A detail of one of the vanes.
I so wanted to make another set, but the spiderwebs they were built on disappeared from the hobby store after Halloween, and I have never found anything similar enough to work.
Every now and then, if I want to wear them, I have to patch a little hole, but they have held up surprisingly well for being tissue paper and Phlex Glu. 🙂
Finally, going back even FURTHER…when I was teaching in Brownsville twenty years ago, I did a production of The Ugly Duckling and needed a “Record book”. So I created this from an old book called On This Day so if anyone did happen to catch a glimpse of the interior, it would be appropriate for the context:
It’s gotten a little beat up over the years, but it is still in great shape for being twenty years old.
As you can see, Phlex Glu really allowed you to be extremely creative. Today I will check out the FlexBond and see if it performs anywhere near as well. Wish me luck!
UPDATE ONE: So, here are my thoughts so far…
Diluted, not so good. Full strength, works better.
The first application I tried didn’t work at all. Don’t know if it was the diluted glue, the framework, the conception, or what, but the project was a disaster:
The tissue wouldn’t lie flat, didn’t stick well. Need to rethink this project. I have a couple of options.
Using undiluted glue in a more decoupage technique worked better. I did discover that it doesn’t dry as clear as I would like. I had purposefully “painted” beyond the picture to see, and it came out a little milky around the edges. Of course, it hasn’t had time to completely cure, so that may change…but I doubt it.
Wrinkles in the paper are my fault because I wasn’t trying to be perfect, just see if it would work at all.
Finally, I see that the undiluted glue can be tinted with paint and it seems to work okay. Will probably go back in and retouch the area with a bit of dry-brushing to tone the gray, but it looks all right in context. Stuck to the hot melt glue fairly well.
First tree I have done in years. It’s bigger than any of the others, but I think I like it. I’m calling it “Windswept”.
Clean up seems to be the same, hot water and a bit of soap. All in all, I am cautiously optimistic that the product will be similar enough to the original to be useful.
Along the way, I found out that my shiny, new, HEAVY desk was covering the only outlet on that wall, so I had to move it out a few inches to plug stuff in. Made one of the things I plugged in a powerstrip, and the other a glue gun cradle with a built in outlet, then pushed the desk back as close to the wall as it would go.
I will continue to keep you posted. 😉